Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Getting It~

Getting It~

Will Richardson “Get’s it.” He is passionate about it. He shares it. He believes it. He lives it. He is indeed re-thinking our education process and making this knowledge available to educators around the planet. I believe that he intends, and is an advocate for, the creation of a new pedagogy. I am thankful that he is such a forerunner and spokesperson for this.

His participation in Educon 2.2 this past January, in Philadelphia, was expected. Yet his follow through is spectacular! He is creating this collaborative project, by addressing many of the top concerns, ideas, and responses generated at this conference. He is welcoming a full participatory exchange. What a grass roots effort to initiate change!

His process began with a vote. Where are the main questions & concerns? Next, he’s proposing a full spectrum croudsourcing experience. A collaboratively written exchange in blog posts which can eventually lead to a published book on LuLu. This can, in turn, be a resource plan of action for schools as they tackle some of these “big” questions in their planning for adapting to the technology process.

This does mean that we are in the midst of new pedagogy. There may be some resistance to this, as it requires changing what’s always been done, and changing what’s already considered new. Yet we are living in exponential times. We have to change, and we can start small.

When browsing the compiled list of education blogs at Will Richardson’s www.weblogg-ed.com I am surprised at how much of this technology is already being used. What a resource. These examples show me the ease of which we can begin this process. They show me that something as simple as starting a blog, can be a doable first step in starting small.. I appreciate this because with the amount of choices and options available, all of this technology can feel a little daunting, as the classroom in this picture makes me feel.

. http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2338/3743686850_fdc8d0c0f4.jpg

Here’s what Will says about this photo: I wonder how many educators look at that picture and think “OMG, puhleeeese let me teach in that classroom!” (I suspect not many.) I wonder how many of them already do teach in classrooms that look like that if we consider the technology in kids pockets (or lockers) as the access point. (I suspect, more than you think.) The problem is, and I can guarantee you this, 95% of the curriculum currently being delivered in those classrooms would waste 95% of the potential in the room that we could glean from that access.

There is tremendous potential all around us and we, as the generic educator, are still trying to wrap our brain around the concept. So that leads me to wonder about the reality of a new pedagogy. As teachers we might either say, “No way, it’s too much, I’m not using it.” Or, “hey, if I start small, collaborate with my peers; maybe I can bring this into the classroom a little easier”. And pardon me, Will, but I do prefer it to be easy(ier). In his post about the Smart Board and his response to their marketing piece and the suggestion that it’s all about being “easy”, there is something magnetic to that easy sounding tool. Life is full and busy, and teachers are people too, that smart board looked cool and easy. I don’t agree with his argument against the Smart Board. Not saying I like this board, just not agreeing with why he doesn’t like it. Because I do want my technology to be easy, at least to get me started and into the momentum of technology expansion!

And technology expansion it is. My insistence upon it being easy, has me at a Level 1 in “getting it”, as pertaining to his Nov. post, http://weblogg-ed.com/2009/what-does-getting-it-mean-anyway/ . Will is definitely at a Level 3, of “getting it”, as is George Lucas. So while I’m hanging out down here at Level 1 waiting for it to be easy and over thinking myself into stalling, they are getting things done, and are forerunners for a new pedagogy. Technology Pedagogy.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Roxanne...Sincere thanks for all those kind words. I'm blushing. ;0) It's always great to know that some of this stuff is sticking. Looking forward to your participation in our crowdsourcing project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Will,
    Thank you for reading and acknowledging my blog post. We appreciate your visionary leadership in this infinite field.
    Kudos to you and everyone you've inspired thus far!

    ReplyDelete

Do you exercise weekly, or weakly?