Friday, February 26, 2010

Wiki and Physical Education

Here Wiki Wiki Wiki~


As I am creating my new wiki, I am assured by Todd that this is the first. It’s a practice and definitely not my end all of wikis. Thank goodness. It is like learning a new language. I find myself hunting and pecking, losing my info, un-saving what I was working on, typical challenges of the tech world, eh. However, I did create a wiki, in minutes. And it really was user friendly.

My intentions are to use this as a showcase for exercise videos. As a place to share new steps, and choreographies, and see how other classes are interpreting the same music we are using.

Yet, I feel I must broaden my expectations a bit, and expand my ideas regarding this general use of my multi-paged wiki. So if I were to think outside of my own box for a moment, I might say that we can create other pages based on the benefits of physical exercise. To include pages reflecting different types of exercise that give examples of a full range of fitness options. Also to list benefits, and perhaps contraindications of exercise, healthy recipe ideas, numerous charts stating the proper heart rate range, healthy weight levels, effects of exercise for different age groups.

Now that I am really brainstorming with myself, I see lots of potential for the use of not only an exercise specific wiki, but a full physical education wiki. We see this information in magazines all the time, but to bring the students into a co-creative role in this could be that extra momentum they need to increase the levels of fitness into their individual lifestyles.

I could create a student page as an exercise journal, where they list fitness goals, and what they are doing each week to take them closer these goals. Also, welcome their input on extracurricular fitness ideas and have them share what they are doing in our community incorporating a healthy lifestyle.

I see how the wiki would evolve and grow outside of the classroom experience and create an engaging aspect that continues long after the class is over.

1 comment:

  1. Much like this blog, the wiki is a first step. I think the more specific a blog is the easier it is to fill with easily visible information. Too many topics and it gets easy to get lost.

    ReplyDelete

Do you exercise weekly, or weakly?